Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Classic, vintage rooms + trade secrets



The lovely Mr Bishop shares....

Who is Justin Bishop?
I AM AN INTERIOR DESIGNER, a photographer, an illustrator, an author and above all, a Stylist! The majority of my work is based  on residential projects for private clients, however I'm being called upon more and more to work as a commercial stylist in the corporate sector, for visual displays editorial and advertising.
I am known for my timeless aesthetic, my aversion to colour and my dislike of 
decorative trends. I have been called an anti-modernist. I have a passion for classic, vintage style and design! 

What's your decorating style at home?
TIMELESS, TRADITIONAL, TAILORED AND CLASSIC!
I have been influenced by my country ancestral heritage and this comes through heavily in my home decorating style. I believe that style is simple, that it should be only what it needs to be,  nothing more nothing less. I do however, have an obsession with controlled clutter; my hoard of antiques, including many family heirlooms, are displayed in vignettes all around my home. I couldn't live without them. I work mostly with neutral colour schemes which provide the perfect backdrop for all my collections.

Styling tips for when you have guests?
I'M ALL ABOUT CLASSIC STYLING. I entertain as my ancestors may have have done, with cut glass chandeliers sparkling in candlelight, stacks of leather bound books displayed amongst vintage crockery and other historic curiosities to add some eclectic flair and to spark conversation. I tend to avoid flowers and other typical decorations in favour of original pieces and interesting objects that tell a story and create a elegant traditional atmosphere.

Cushion fiend or phobic?
I LOVE CUSHIONS AND ROTATE THEM SEASNALLY - Soft cream linens in summer and heavy corduroy and velvet in winter. I use cushions to build up layers in a room. For me, they should form part of a whole design rather than acting as stand out detail. Cushions should subtly add style to a room, they may add warmth and comfort but should not overpower.

Where do you shop for your furnishings?
I HAVE A FEW REGULAR HAUNTS THAT I CAN'T AVOID. Antique markets are invaluable if you have the time to saunter and sift through the trash, in order to find your treasure! 
Being a designer, in the industry, I am constantly exposed to new products that come up in the retail market. I am always tempted to pick up a great reproduction piece, many of them are gorgeous, however I try to stick to my preference for the old, the time warn and authentic! Using pieces with  history and age, will always add character to a room, adding a genuine sense of timeless style  and classic tradition.



Jo x

2 comments:

  1. How interesting, he has just inspired me to go and change my cushions! xToni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is the Maestro and very gorgeous too..but don't tell him I said that!
      Wait to you see his sister-in-laws home in Ferny Creek...coming up Aug Home Beaut!

      jo

      Delete