Monday, May 6, 2013

Bathroom makeover | painting a clawfoot bath


the clawfoot bath gets a makeover

Before                                                                  After

The burgundy & gold on the post modern (ie acrylic) clawfoot bath
were always gawners...as gawn as a newly minted parent in a Downton manor.  After a few calls to pro spray painters I decided that the $600 could be put to better use and, as I was not terribly attached to our post modern (i.e. acrylic) clawfoot bath I would paint it myself!
exterior base
The exterior base of the bath was given a coat of triple prep (surface paint glue) and then a few coats of oil based enamel, in tiffaney-ish blue with a mini roller. Contortion cramps and paint fumes aside I'm well pleased with the colour.
clawfeet
Searching, searching on ebay for clawfeet and found a whole shoe rack at the Schots ebay store...EUREKA, says I, but my sensible twin told me to make enquires re feet and fit 
before hitting 'buy it now'. BUGGA one size does NOT fit all, so it's back to the 
hardware store pour moi for more strong paint.  
Changing the colour of the feet was a Goldilocks process.The first foot trial was an attempt at a bronzey look, to match our door hardware. Black and brown enamel mini pots were purchased to paint what eventually looked like dirty hobbits feet. Too Golim. Next came hogs bristle trotters. Too creamy against the honey floor. Then methinks silver enamel and goodbye Goldilocks, hello gorgeous and its just right! Loving the silver and looks authentic if you are slightly myopic. Perfick!

Stay posted for the series finale
Shower bases that work with a timber bathroom floor!

Oh yes, it can be done and look good, trust me I've done the research when 
not obsessing over Downton and Game of Thrones.

No comments:

Post a Comment